Richmond Home

International Student FAQ

Who is considered an international student?

An international student is a student who does not have U.S. citizenship and is not a permanent resident of the United States.

Is there a special application for international students?

No. The University of Richmond accepts the Common Application or Coalition Application for U.S. citizens, dual citizens, permanent residents, and international students. Students simply need to indicate their status on the application.

Is admission for international students more or less competitive than for U.S. students?

The acceptance rate for international students that do not apply for financial aid is the same as U.S. students at 33%. The acceptance rate for international students who apply for financial aid is 10%, due to Richmond's need-aware admission policy for non-US citizens.

Can the application fee be waived?

If international students and other applicants living abroad are unable to pay the online application fee, they may submit the application without paying the fee. On the Common Application or Coalition Application Member Screen, select "Richmond Waiver."

What is the cost of attendance?

For 2019-20:



Room & Board


Personal Expenses (including transportation, medical insurance, telephone, local travel, laundry, personal necessities, entertainment)


Books & Supplies


Estimated Total


Are international students eligible for financial aid?

Yes, international students are eligible for both need-based and merit-based financial aid. Need-based financial aid is limited for non-US citizens, however, and the need-aware admission process is highly competitive. That said, the University meets 100% of demonstrated need (as demonstrated by the College Board’s CSS Profile) for all admitted students, regardless of citizenship.

If I apply Early Decision, can I receive financial aid?

For non-US citizens, need-based financial aid is limited and the admission process for both Early Decision, Early Action, and Regular Decision is need-aware. While the most competitive Early Decision applicants may be admitted and offered financial aid, other applicants may be deferred to Regular Decision to ensure that, if admitted, Richmond is able to meet 100% of demonstrated financial need.

Must I still complete the International Financial Certification form if I don't have money and need financial aid?

If you intend to apply for any need-based or merit-based financial aid, you must submit the International Financial Certification Form and indicate the amount of support available toward your 4-year cost of attendance.

What is need-aware admission?

For non-U.S. citizens/non-U.S. permanent residents, the University of Richmond is need-aware in admission, which means that we consider a student's ability to pay for four years of education at Richmond when reviewing the student's application. Thus, the International Financial Certification Form is required for all For non-U.S. citizens/non-U.S. permanent residents.

Can I get loans from any company?

The University of Richmond is not involved in the loan process at all; that is between the student and the loan company. You may obtain loan information at

How are international students notified of the receipt and completeness of their application?

All applicants are emailed acknowledging receipt of their application. A subsequent email provides instructions on how to check application completeness online.

Do I have to submit TOEFL scores if I study at an international high school?

If English is not your first language, please see our English proficiency policy.

Can SAT scores waive my TOEFL requirement?

If English is not your first language, please see our English proficiency policy.

Do you require SAT ll subject tests?

The University of Richmond does not require SAT II subject tests, nor do we consider results as part of a student's application. See the full list of admission requirements.

The only use for the SAT II subject tests at the University of Richmond is for potential exemption by examination. Students who achieve a score of 630 or higher on a language or listening SAT II will receive an exemption from the University’s Communication Skills II – Second Language general education requirement, as they will have met the final intermediate level of the specified language.

How many letters of recommendation do I need?

Richmond only requires one letter of recommendation; typically, high school counselors provide this letter. Even if your counselor does not know you very well, school counselors understand the information that U.S. universities need to evaluate your application within the broader context of your high school environment. We will gladly accept one or two additional recommendations, typically from teachers, mentors, coaches, employers, etc. We ask that you submit no more than three recommendations.

What AP or IB classes are best to be considered for admission to UR?

As a liberal arts university, Richmond considers any of the AP or IB choices to be rigorous preparation. 

Can I apply as a first-year student if I have attended another university?

Applicants must disclose all universities that they have attended and submit official transcript(s). The Office of Admission will determine if they can be considered first-year students or if they must apply as transfer students.

Which school organizations and clubs are active?

The following list provides information on the current active student organizations on campus:

What are fun things to do in the city?

There are a wide variety of things to do in the city, depending on your preferences and what you like. The university also provides bus passes and shuttles that take students to many of these locations and back to campus.

How far is UR from downtown/nearest shopping area?

The closest shopping area is a 5-minute drive from campus. It includes grocery shopping and a few restaurants. Other common shopping areas are downtown Richmond and Carytown which are no more than 15 minutes away from the campus.

How are housing assignments made for international students?

Like U.S. students, international students will utilize an online system to select housing preferences and roommates.

Can international students stay in the residence halls during breaks?

During the academic year, students may stay in residence halls over all school breaks at no cost as long as they notify the housing office in advance. Students do not need to return home for the summer if they will be enrolled the following fall semester; however, there is a charge for room and board over the summer.

What do students do during short breaks, such as fall or spring break?

Some students stay on campus and enjoy the city of Richmond or visit nearby cities. The university is about two hours from Washington D.C., two hours from the mountains and two hours from Virginia Beach. Some students visit friends or family members. 

Do I need health insurance?

Yes. All international students are required to purchase the health insurance plan offered by the university. The link below provides additional information: