- 5 Spots on Campus You May Not Know Exist
At Richmond, there’s always more to discover when you travel to the lesser-known corners of campus. Over the course of the University’s 185-year-old history, we’ve been fortunate to accumulate some really amazing things. From an Egyptian mummy in the Classics department, to a massive collection of florescent rocks and fossils in the Harnett Museum of Art, to a floor-to-ceiling pendulum in the Gottwald Center for the Sciences, new surprises wait around every corner of our 365-acre campus. Since we can’t cover everything in our 1.5 hour campus tours, here’s a quick look at a few hidden treasures you might be surprised to find at Richmond:
- The Right Approach to Writing Your College Essays
Recently, I’ve given several presentations to rising high school seniors on writing your college essays. Each time I do this, I always ask students what makes them most anxious about essays, and two answers invariably come up more than any others: (1) "I know essays are really important," and (2) "I don’t really know what colleges are looking for."
- 10 Richmond Festivals You Can't Miss
With summertime in full swing, Richmond is heating up with local events featuring the culinary and cultural flavors of homegrown RVA. From the Richmond Jazz Festival (one of the largest on the East Coast) and Riverrock (the nation’s premier outdoor sports and music festival) to the Greek Festival and Broad Appetite (arguably, the local foodie favorite), there’s never a shortage of things to do all year long in the great city of Richmond, VA. Here's our guide to the top 10 must-see Richmond festivals.
- Research at Richmond: Why It's Different (and Awesome)
“Undergraduate research” is something of a buzzword in college admission these days. Like study abroad, it’s something that many prospective students are looking for (and being encouraged to look for) in a college, and it’s therefore something that most colleges are talking about. But buyer beware. Although everyone is talking about research, the reality can vary quite a bit from school to school; and because everyone is talking about research, you need to be an informed consumer and do some careful digging to ensure you’re getting the full picture.
- Planning Your Senior Year Schedule
This one’s for you, juniors.
- Finding a [new] Home at Richmond
As the National Candidate Reply Date of May 1 creeps closer, we know that a good number of you are still searching for that one final reason why you should choose Richmond. Here in the Office of Admission, there’s not much more we can say or do to convince you why UR is distinct; you’ve heard the facts and the figures, had time to mull over the statistics and the stories. So for those of you still on the fence, we thought it would be helpful for you to hear from a campus resource you’d be hard-pressed to find at any other school in the nation: The Office of Common Ground. The University of Richmond's Office of Common Ground supports the school's priorities of diversity and inclusion by providing campus-wide resources and programs that foster community across lines of difference. In celebration of the most talented and diverse class in our University’s history, it's my pleasure to introduce a special note to the Class of 2019 from guest blogger, Ted Lewis, Associate Director for LGBTQ Campus Life in the Office of Common Ground.
- UR Defined (2019 Edition)
A brief primer in University of Richmond student lingo, for new members of the Class of 2019.
- 19 Things You Could Do with $4,000 from Richmond
This year, in honor of the Class of '19 – and in honor of the new Richmond Guarantee, which guarantees every undergraduate student summer funding of up to $4,000 for a summer internship or research project – we decided to share with you...
- What Does Spider Spirit Mean to You?
Congratulations and a warm welcome to the future Class of 2019! Now that admission decisions are released, the big choice of where to attend college is looming in the near distance. To help you get a feel for why our students love Richmond, we thought it would be fun to ask our Spider Diarists about their favorite aspects of campus life. Here’s what they have to say:
- Meet the 2015 Admission Committee
What do you think of when you hear the words “admission committee?”
UR Admission Twitter
- Great video of #Richmond2019 reflecting on the emotions and excitement of move-in day: http://t.co/XYdfnRGdsC
- "Research is a priority of ours; it's important to start early." Full house for the science faculty panel at Preview! http://t.co/1jRSX1tX5f
- RT @KuangKatherine: Four Students in total, one is Chinese and two are learning Chinese! Great Spiders!! #SpiderPride @URAdmission http://t…
- Summer Preview is today! Excited about your #spidervisit? Tweet it, Instagram it, and share it with @urichmond and @URAdmission.
- Shout out to any students outside the U.S. watching the livestream of Preview Richmond today! #URGoingGlobal #FutureSpiders
- New @urichmond students: interested in helping recruit? Volunteer open houses take place 9/1 & 9/2, 5-6 p.m., in Brunet Hall. #Richmond2019
- Seniors from 21 states and 5 different countries are registered for Preview Richmond on Friday. Will you join us? http://t.co/IElACcf4C3
- A new year begins at UR! Students return this weekend, classes start on Monday. It's a great time for a #spidervisit: http://t.co/BVCaQVoB44
- First-year move-in day is finally here! Follow the journey of #Richmond2019 on tagboard: http://t.co/xAbxRD1HyX #newspiders
- A sneak peak at the new renovations in Jeter & Thomas Hall. Photo credit: Gordon Schmidt. #thesuitelife #couldbeyours http://t.co/o5oxMFkYY8
- Welcome week officially begins! See you soon #Richmond2019.
- Happy August! A warm welcome to #Richmond2019! https://t.co/aCg9RNhEZP
- It's an incredible summer day in #RVA. Exploring secret gardens and hidden gems around campus: http://t.co/3NmFJIQrhh http://t.co/Kb2mNZ3IMS
- Throwback Admission Blog post to help kick start your summer writing: "Choosing a College Essay Topic" #tbt http://t.co/JWDlD7PZ3t
- ONE WEEK until #Richmond2019 arrives! Could not be more excited. http://t.co/mWEUXg5KuA
- Never too soon to explore Richmond's app timeline - seniors, make sure you're on track to apply to UR this fall: http://t.co/e1LoyqSnb4
- Modlin Center for the Arts 2015-16 schedule is here! Visitors, check out the amazing acts & performers coming to UR: http://t.co/7IPGKvcVXX
Summer Visit Opportunities
For High School Juniors and Sophomores...
Discover why Richmond should be on your college list. Learn the basics with Facts and Rankings, explore our unique list of majors, and always visit our homepage to see what's going on and keep up with campus life.
If you want to receive our emails, print information, or hear from your regional admission counselor, be sure to join our contact list.
Join Our Contact List
Stay in touch with us throughout your college search. In addition to receiving some general information and important admission announcements throughout the year, you'll also hear from your regional admission counselor.
University of Richmond Class of 2015 Graduation Day
Graduates from the Class of 2015 share their plans for the future and reflect on their time at the University of Richmond.
A Spider's Guide to RVA
Tracee Carter, '16, takes Spiders on a Richmond adventure, visiting Carytown, the James River, UR Downtown, and more.
First-Year Move-in Day 2014
New students, parents, and orientation staff pause in the midst of unpacking to share their thoughts and reflections on first-year move-in day at Richmond.
Student Blogs: Spider Diaries
Keepin' you up to date with the latest, hippest spider-slang that all the kids are using these days.
An inside look on what you might overhear at D-Hall.
Willy Wonka, Greg Brady, and the best meal I've had in a long time.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the Ultimate Frisbee season, and it is now over.
Pretty as a magnolia in May and chockfull of happiness, history, and absurdly green, soft lawns.